Studio Ghibli is regarded as the “Disney of Japan,” and have gained international and critical acclaim with their classic works, including My Neighbor Totoro, Howl’s Moving Castle, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, and the Oscar-winning Spirited Away. However, believe or or not, not everyone in Japan has seen every single Ghibli movie yet, and MyNavi Student has asked their readers to vote for which Ghibli film they were not able to watch yet. Below is the list of top 10 movies gems that are waiting to be discovered:
10. Arrietty (2010) – 31.3% haven’t seen it
9. Tales from Earthsea (2006) – 37.8% haven’t seen it
8. Only Yesterday (1991) – 38.8% haven’t seen it
7. The Wind Rises (2013) – 41.3% haven’t seen it
6. From Up on Poppy Hill (2011) – 48% haven’t seen it
5. The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2013) – 52% haven’t seen it
4. When Marnie Was There (2014) – 57.8% haven’t seen it
3. Panda! Go, Panda! (1972) – 58% haven’t seen it
2. My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999) – 62% haven’t seen it
1. Ocean Waves (1993) – 65.2% haven’t seen it
Ocean Waves is a little Ghibli gem that many people who took the survey didn’t even hear about. The fact that many of Japan’s students who took the survey did not even know what it is has landed the film in MyNavi’s top spot.
There are also quite a few surprises in the Top 10, with The Tale of Princess Kaguya and When Marnie Was There being in the Top 5, despite the fact that their international acclaim being well-documented within the country.
Source: MyNavi Student via Rocket News 24
Comments are closed for this post.