The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which is responsible for handing out the most prestigious prize in the film industry, the Oscar, has announced its list of membership invitations via their official website. 842 invitations, the second-largest number of invitations in the Academy’s history. The high number of invites aims to promote diversity within its own ranks. And among those invited are some big names in the Japanese film industry.
The invites include:
- Director Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor 2)
- Director Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira,)
- Director Takashi Nakamura (Harmony)
- Director Mako Kamitsuna (Blackhat)
- Actress Akira Saki (live-action Ajin)
- Editor Shigeru Nishiyama (Mirai, Sword Art Online the Movie: Ordinal Scale)
- Production designer Akiko Matsuba (Shoplifters)
- Producer Yuichiro Saito (Mirai, The Boy and The Beast)
- Visual artist Ryo Sakaguchi (Game of Thrones, live-action Speed Racer)
The Academy has been inviting Japanese film giants such as Hayao Miyazaki. Miyazaki has two Oscars under his belt. They have also asked Mamoru Hosoda previously, as well Ghibli’s Toshio Suzuki and Isao Takahata.