Missed the new TV anime adaptation of Natsuki Takaya’s Fruits Basket manga? Well don’t worry, because it is returning for a second season! And now, the staff have revealed a Digest Video for the anime’s first season:
The video mostly takes a look back at the first season to remind people of what happened. And as the video itself reveals, the anime will debut sometime in spring 2020. It also confirms that TV Tokyo and TV Osaka will be airing the anime in Japan.
This new anime series has a completely new cast from the original TV anime, per request of mangaka Natsuki Takaya. It comprises of:
- Manaka Iwami as Tohru Honda
- Nobunaga Shimazaki as Yuki Sohma
- Yuuma Uchida as Kyo Sohma
- Yuuichi Nakamura as Shigure Sohma
- Atsumi Tanezaki as Arisa Uotani
- Satomi Satou as Saki Hanajima
- Rie Kugimiya as Kagura Sohma
- Megumi Han as Momiji Sohma
- Makoto Furukawa as Hatsuharu Sohma
- Kazuyuki Okitsu as Hatori Sohma
- Takahiro Sakurai as Ayame Sohma
- Maaya Sakamoto as Akito Sohma
- Miyuki Sawashiro as Kyouko Honda
The original anime premiered in July 2001 and ended its run in December of the same year. This would make this new anime premiering almost 20 years after the previous one aired. Previously, DEEN adapted the manga into a 24-episode TV anime. Now, TMS Entertainment is taking over the adaptation, with Yoshihide Ibata directing it. As for the character designs, Masaru Shindou is designing the characters, while Takaya-sensei herself is serving as executive supervisor.
Synopsis via Funimation:
Tohru Honda thought her life was headed for misfortune when a family tragedy left her living in a tent. When her small home is discovered by the mysterious Soma clan, she suddenly finds herself living with Yuki, Kyo, and Shigure Soma. But she quickly learns their family has a bizarre secret of their own: when hugged by the opposite sex, they turn into the animals of the Zodiac!
source: Fruits Basket official